Bible Verse of the Day

Monday, February 02, 2015

Awaken your soul to the eternal things...

I was out jogging one day when I noticed a person in front of me; about a quarter of a mile ahead. I could tell he was running a little slower than me, and I thought, 'good', I'll try to catch him. I had about a mile to go on my path before I needed to turn off.

So I started running faster and faster. Every block, I was gaining on him just a little bit. After just a few minutes I was only about 100 yards behind him, so I really picked up the pace and pushed myself. One would have thought I was running the last leg of an Olympic event, so determined was I to catch him. And finally I did it! I caught up and passed him by.

On the inside I felt so good. "I beat him!", of course he didn't even know we were racing. And after I passed him, I realised that I had been so focused on competing against him, that I had missed my turn. I had gone nearly six blocks past it. I had to turn around and go all the way back.

Isn't that just what happens in life when we focus on competing with co-workers, neighbours, friends, family - trying to outdo them, or trying to prove that we are more successful or more important? We fail to recognise that we spend our time and energy running after them; and we miss out on our own path to our God given destinies. We compare our journey Home with temporary things, instead of Jesus Christ's example.

The problem with unhealthy competition is that it is a never ending cycle. There will always be somebody
ahead of one - someone with a better job, a nicer car, more money in the bank, more education, a more attractive partner, better behaved children, etc. It is therefore very important, and more blessed, to realise that, "You can be the best that you can be, when you are not competing with anyone." - i.e. just being a better YOU than yesterday. Some people are insecure because they pay too much attention to what others are doing, where others are going, wearing, driving and living.

Take and use what God has given you - your height, weight, personality, state of prosperity and current circumstances. Dress well and wear it proudly! Let it blend into your Godly character. You'll be blessed by it, when using it to the glory of God!

Stay focused and live a healthy life. There's no competition in DESTINY - run your own RACE and wish others WELL! There are no comparisons in ETERNITY - to wit - ETERNITY is incomparable...


No comments:

Post a Comment