The truth transforms us
To become like Jesus, we must fill our lives with His Word. When God speaks, things change – creation exists because “God said it”. The Bible is more than a doctrinal guide book – it is the manifestation of God’s Word. The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to make us like the Son of God. God’s Word is the Spiritual nourishment we must have to fulfill our purpose here on earth.
ABIDING IN GOD’S WORD
+ I must accept its authority
The Bible must always have the first and last say in my life – we need a perfect standard that will never lead us in the wrong direction. Regardless of culture, tradition, reason or emotion, choose the Bible as your final authority. (Your permit / pass-card / written-authority)
+ I must assimilate its truth
- RECEIVE God’s Word and accept it with an open mind and receptive attitude. God can speak through even the most boring teacher when you are humble and receptive.
- READ the Bible - personally. Daily Bible reading will keep you in range of God’s voice. Keep a copy of His Word nearby and read it regularly (a reading plan will prevent skipping around the Bible arbitrarily and overlooking sections)
- RESEARCH or study the Bible. Studying the Bible involves asking questions and writing down your insights. (write your thoughts on paper or computer) The secret of good Bible study is simply learning to ask the right questions. You discover far more by just asking the simple questions. (Who? What? Why? When? How? – I have about three Bible based software programs on my computer; and I am loathed to say I haven’t yet even explored their usefulness in this regard – I know they accommodate menus for typing notes, but I’ve only used them a few times when researching a particular text – gonna change that…)
- REMEMBER God’s Word. Your capacity to remember is a God-given gift. If God’s Word is important, you will take the time to remember it – with enormous benefits. You can memorize Scripture anywhere. (My boss at work is of the Moslem faith /persuasion. He always quotes scripture from the Qu'ran covering a certain relevant topic; I always ‘counter’ with the equivalent verse from the Bible on the same topic; and sometimes the verse or reference escapes me – very frustrating… but it does urge me to go and find that Bible verse!)
- REFLECT on God’s Word – apply focused thinking, i.e. meditation. Select a verse and reflect on it over and over in your mind (remember? If you know how to worry, you already know how to meditate!) Make daily Scripture reading a habit. Serious reflection on God’s Word and truth is a key to answered prayer and the secret to successful living.
+ I must apply its principles
Receiving, researching, reading, remembering and reflecting on the Word is all useless if we fail to put then into practice
- internalize it and implement what you've learned. God’s word exposes our motives, points out our faults, rebukes our sin and expects us to change. Consequently, it is very important to discuss your personal application with other people. Other like-minded people will help you see insights you may have missed and help you apply God’s truth in a practical way – become a “Doer of the Word”.
Develop the habit of writing down exactly what you intend to do, which should involve:
Your relationship with God
Your relationship with others
Your personal character
The Bible was not given to increase our knowledge but to change our lives – IT IS THE LIVING WORD!
Have a blessed Sunday… Love you ~ Stafford