Bible Verse of the Day

Thursday, January 12, 2012

THE QUESTION OF THE SINNER'S PRAYER

I may not agree with your opinion; but I will fight to death for your right to say it - Voltaire
I am convicted to make clear to my neighbour what I perceive to be wrong in his words and deeds; in a loving and helpful spirit.


It is always a good thing to pray. Spontaneous prayer is vital for the true believer; but real communication with GOD has to be prepared, and thought about in advance...


I have typed my comments in RED regarding a blog post I read, and I cite my thoughts as it unfolded - what do you think?

Re-blogged with permission from: http://christian-with-a-view.blogspot.com/




THE QUESTION OF THE SINNER'S PRAYER
Is there anywhere in the Bible that tells men to say the "sinner's prayer" and they will be saved? No, there is not. The "sinner's prayer" is used in order to represent salvation as being possible without getting wet, that is to take water baptism out of the plan of salvation.


(I don't believe this to be the intention of a sinner's prayer)

ONE OF MANY EXAMPLES OF THE SINNER'S PRAYER

"Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayers. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus name I pray, Amen."

Jesus taught us how to pray (for anything) in "The Lord's Prayer" - the 'Our Father, who art in Heaven...' - this prayer is for all - believers and current non-believers; and speaks to any need - even salvation. - I believe saying a sinner's prayer in conjunction with The Lords Prayer is key...

The Bible never told anyone to say the "sinner's prayer" in order to be saved.
Jesus said: Mark 16:16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
Jesus did not say "he who has believed and has said the sinner's prayer shall be saved."

The apostle Peter said: Acts 2:38 ...."Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Evidently Peter forgot to say, "Repent, and say the sinner's prayer in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

I find these paraphrased parallels to be a bit flippant and uncontextual; however well intended to prove the point. Did give me a bit of a chuckle, though!


BLOOD BOUGHT CHRISTIANS CAN PRAY FOR THEIR FORGIVENESS - NON-CHRISTIANS CANNOT RECEIVE FORGIVENESS BY SAYING THE SINNER"S PRAYER NOR ANY OTHER KIND OF PRAYER.

( I disagree - ..."ask and it shall be given unto you..." - it is as simple as asking for our daily bread - as long as the heart is pure and contrite and open to the Holy Spirit - no one is denied forgiveness... I know, it seems unfair to the long-suffering, faithful - but we serve a loving and forgiving God who will welcome us back as soon as we genuinely repent)


The two things you will find in the Christian conversions in the Bible are BELIEF and WATER BAPTISM.
Christian conversions found in the Bible do not link BELIEF and the SINNER'S PRAYER to salvation.

This would narrow the opportunities for a person to accept the Lord as their personal Saviour - I'd like to think that if I were dying in the desert of thirst, and required salvation before passing into the next world, I would still be afforded the amazing grace without benefit of baptismal water - it is almost akin to saying 'full immersion or nothing - tough luck?''




SATAN WANTS BELIEVERS TO THINK THEY CAN BE DRY CLEANED!

Oh that devil, he wants us to believe many falsehoods - I think in the grand scheme of God's purposes for us, this is a baby untruth; but nonetheless, one to be continually wary of... ~SB


May GOD bless and enhance your day!



I repeat - It is always a good thing to pray. Spontaneous prayer is vital for the true believer; but real communication with GOD has to be prepared, and thought about in advance... ~ SB




No comments:

Post a Comment