Bible Verse of the Day

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Silent Surge of Spring


Its spring again, a time for hope, for believing things are going to be better, for doing things without a good reason. It’s a time for feeling sad and glad at the same time, and not knowing why, for longing for something but not knowing exactly what.
For children, spring is a time for flying kites, for chasing dogs, playing in the park and floating paper boats down streams, and dreaming of sailing with them to wherever it is that rivers and street channels go. When you are older it is a time for climbing hills and wondering about the future and feeling a strange longing. Young people make plans in the spring, and old people remember, and it is only the mean of heart who don’t feel some twinge of love or cradle some small, warm dream. Love and growth, change and hurt are rituals of spring.


I know there is a hillside, and beyond a stream that meanders down to join a river in a valley that glows in the spring with blooms. I wish to go there alone or with those I love to feel the earth awakening from its sleep, to stand in awe of the recurring miracle of life triumphing over death. Soon, now, I must go again.



 I need to re-establish contact with the course of life. I am searching, I know, as all of us search, for comfort and reassurance. We need it, as we need the faith that spring offers and justifies, for we know more winters of the soul than of the seasons. The chill that comes of living and knowing and loving and losing cuts more deeply than the cold of winter, and we need nature’s reminders lest disillusionment bind us to the bleakness of the moment and blind us to the lesson of returning spring.



I sense that I have left to me too few springs for looking at things in bloom. So soon, once more, I shall walk along a hillside, sit beside a stream, taking comfort and hope from the greening beneath the dead leaves of winter, trusting that in the great scheme of things that sets our planet on its course and brings the spring in its time, I shall have a role and a place, that I, too, am and shall be part of the pattern…

- Adapted from John Ed Pearce by SB


I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about.





No comments:

Post a Comment